Open Educational Resources
eCampusOntario uses the definition that Open Educational Resources are "materials, textbooks, documents, and other academic resources that are openly available for public use. These types of resources are generally low in cost, if not free, and they can usually be accessed online and/or easily downloaded for later use.". This means that they are completely free for anyone to use and adapt as they see fit. As textbook costs have risen at unimaginable rates over the last few decades, the idea of free, high-quality textbooks is more important than ever.
Beyond textbooks, OERs include full courses, course materials, modules, streaming videos, tests, software, and any other tools, materials, or techniques used to support access to knowledge. They support equity and flexibility, and the movement to creating them is rooted in the right to access education. As students in precarious financial situations are choosing between rent and textbooks, or groceries and textbooks,
OERs present themselves as the perfect solution to the affordability problem – by eliminating it.The MSU, through the Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance, will be running a campaign to promote and advocate for Open Educational Resources from January 7 - 20. We ask students to:
- Take a picture of your textbook receipt or stack of textbooks
- Tweet (preferably) or post to social media that picture with the amount of money you spent on textbooks
- If you did not buy your textbooks, please share why as well
- Use the hashtag #TextbookBroke and tag the MSU
- Visit the eCampusOntario Open Textbook Library and make your professors aware of it.
We also have a textbook contest where you could win your textbooks free (even if you already bought them)! Check out our table in front of the Campus Store from January 8-12 for more info.
Some events to check out are:
Free Textbooks?! What are OERs?
January 11 in JHE 326H from 3:00 to 5:00
Learn about OERs and how they can improve your university experience!
Letters to Professors OER
January 17 in BSB B155 from 4:00 to 6:00
Want to see OERs in your classes? Join us to write out emails to explain to professors why they should use OERs!
- 7 days ago RT @CailynNagle: .@CALPIRGStudent at UCSC did their own #textbookbroke version of the #passthebrushchallenge and it's all I care about now…
- 7 days ago RT @CailynNagle: So great to hear what @CALPIRGStudent' s Affordable Textbook Campaign leaders are planning for the summer and next fall! #…
- 8 days ago RT @CailynNagle: So great to hear what @CALPIRGStudent' s Affordable Textbook Campaign leaders are planning for the summer and next fall! #…