New Club Ratification
New Club Registrations are now OPEN! Please fill out the survey here and upload all relevant documents.
Applications are DUE BY FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 22 at 11:59PM. Late submissions will not be accepted.
A club MUST be able to demonstrate:
- Uniqueness: the club must not have the same or similar mandate to other existing clubs or groups on campus;
- Maintain significant student interest and
- Produce positive impacts on the McMaster community.
Starting a new MSU club is a THREE step process:
1) Application (using proper documentation)
2) Interview with MSU Clubs Administrator
3) Ratification by the MSU Student Representative Assembly (SRA). All clubs must be ratified by the SRA to be recognized as an official MSU Club.
Applications for new clubs consists of THREE sections:
1) Administrative Information
2) Cover Letter
3) Year-Plan/Budget and a Constitution.
Section 1 – Administrative Information: This section allows club executives to indicate basic information about the club, such as: name, category, email request, primary contact person, and executive information.
Please ensure that at least FOUR (4) executives are listed and TEN (10) members. Remember: Executives and Members can not be the same – it takes at least FOURTEEN (14) people to start a new MSU club.
Mission Statement - statement which is used as a way of communicating the purpose of the organization.
Section 2 – Cover Letter: This section allows club executives to explain and outline their club. It is important that the executives address the following THREE areas: 1) Who/What the club is about? What are its goals, purposes, intentions? 2) Why is the club unique? What academic, culture, religion, recreational activity, or social issue does it represent/address that is not currently being represented/addressed? 3) How will the club contribute to the McMaster University student community?. Cover letter must be uploaded on registration page.
Section 3 – Year Plan/Budget: This section allows club executives to outline the event programming they wish to enact in the academic year. Please note that the MSU does not expect each club to have its programming 100% ready for next year – we understand any plans are tentative and subject to change – however, it is important that executives have a general idea of the programming they wish to implement. While event programming should be diverse and creative, it should also generally complement the purpose(s) of the club (For example: charity-based clubs will likely focus on fundraisers; academic-based clubs will likely focus on study sessions and professor meet’n’greets; social issue-based clubs will likely focus on informational and awareness campaigns; etc). Click here to download a copy of the Year & Budget Plan.
Constitution: The club constitution is the governing document of each and every club. It generally outlines the responsibilities and duties of each executive position as well as rules and regulations for elections and other club operations. A basic constitution template is provided, but MUST be personalized by club executives to suit the needs of the club. Instructional notes have been posted within the club constitution document. Click here to download a copy of the constitution template.
If you are applying as a new club, once the Clubs Administrator has reviewed your documentation you will be contacted for an interview. If your club meets all the above requirements, your club will be put forward to the SRA for ratification.
ALL club applications MUST be reviewed by the Clubs Administrator before being put forward to the SRA.
The Club Administrator shall provide recommendations to the SRA with respect to whether or not ratification is recommended for each applicant club.
For any other inquiries contact MSU Clubs (email@example.com)
- about 9 hours ago RT @msucampusevents: Have you ever wanted to test how much you really know about The Office? Join us this coming Wednesday for a chance to…
- about 9 hours ago The MSU wants to hear from you regarding the lighting in your student neighbourhoods! Fill out the survey at… https://t.co/nLAyMmcj5l
- 1 day ago RT @STJOESHAMILTON: Thank you to @MSU_McMaster for supporting our Youth Wellness Centre (@ReachOutHam) through this year's Charity Ball! Ch…