What is the MSU?
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is the largest group on campus. Representing the approximately 24,000 undergraduate students of McMaster, all students enrolled in 18 (or more units) are members of the MSU.
What does the MSU do?
The MSU serves students in two main areas; political representation and the enhancement of student life.
The MSU operates over two dozen business and services to serve the needs of students. As well, the MSU is the front line of student advocacy. The MSU advocates for student interests at the university, municipal, provincial and federal levels.
Who are my representatives?
At the department/faculty level, every student is represented by members of the Student Representative Assembly (SRA). Each faculty is represented in the SRA by a number of student leaders weighted to the size of the faculty (larger faculties posses more student representatives). Moreover, at the university, provincial and federal levels, students are represented by the Executive of the MSU, comprised of the President and three Vice Presidents.
Who is the Executive of the MSU?
There are four members of the Executive, called the Board of Directors. For 2019-2020 academic year, the Board of Directors consists of:
President - Giancarlo Da-Ré
VP (Administration) - Graeme Nobel
VP (Finance) - Jess Anderson
VP (Education) - Fawziyah Isah
What are my student fees?
Paid within tution fees are several university fees and several MSU fees.
- The MSU's Operating Fee is $122.45
- The 93.3 CFMU-FM Operating and Capital Fee is $11.91
- $0.58 per unit to a maximum of 30 units for the MSU-MUSC Operating Fee, payable to McMaster Univeristy Student Centre
- The HSR Bus Pass, payable to the HSR Transit Commission is $120.98
- $106.00 for the MSU Health Plan
- $126.50 for the MSU Dental Plan
- $1.63 for World University Service of Canada Refugee Scholarship
ALL UNIVERISTY FEES WILL BE FINALIZED BY AUGUST 8, 2020.
THIS FOLLOWING LIST IS REFELCTIVE OF THE 2019/2020 SCHOOL YEAR.
The HSR Bus Pass gives you unlimited access to HSR transit from September 1 to August 31. You cannot opt out of the bus pass fee. For full details, please click here. PLEASE NOTE: The bus pass fee has been reduced by over $100 for 2020/2021. The bus pass will only operate from January 2021 through August 2021, reflecting the shift to remotely class for the fall semester.
The MSU, through our underwriters ACL Student Benefits, provides both a health and dental plan. If you can demonstrate proof of comparable coverage, you may opt-out of either or both of these plans and recieve a refund. Opt-outs must be completed by September 30th. For more information on the coverage you recieve throught these plans, or for the process to opt-out, please click here.
- about 4 hours ago Fawziyah Isah was elected in April, but due to personal reasons, will resign from the role in early fall. Fawziyah… https://t.co/fJtwN2oCru
- about 4 hours ago News from the #McSU Board of Directors: nominations are now open for a by-election of the MSU Vice-President (Educa… https://t.co/G6yskLuNDs
- 10 days ago As @McMasterU shifts to remote learning for the first semester, the MSU has secured a reduction to the cost of the… https://t.co/lmwHM6QMXT