Part Time vs. Full Time Student
Part-time vs. Full-time student status
A student’s undergraduate degree course load in an academic session will remain the principal determinant for membership in either MAPS (1-17 units) or the MSU (18 or more units). Part-time students are represented by the McMaster Association of Part-time Students (MAPS).
In a limited number of cases, transfer of membership will be permitted from one organization to the other. Part-time students who qualify may apply to become members of the MSU.
Students eligible to apply for membership transfer can apply starting September 12 until October 13 and submit their application.
The following are the qualifications for transfer:
Part-Time Undergraduate Students– who are registered for their final year of study and who are enrolled in 18 units or more may remain in the MSU or transfer into MAPS if they meet the following criteria;
- The student: (a) was in a previous fall/winter academic session a member of MAPS and (b) will register in more than 17 units to complete their degree prior to the next Spring Convocation;
Full-Time Undergraduate Students- who are registered in their final year of study and are enrolled in 17 units or less may remain in MAPS or transfer into MSU if they meet the following the following criteria;
- The student: (a) was a member of the MSU in previous fall/winter academic sessionsand (b) will be registered in a fall/winter academic session in fewer than 18 units to complete their degree prior to the next convocation.
Students enrolled with Student Accessibility Servives (SAS): those who are enrolled in 17 units or less have the choice to attain their membership in either MSU or MAPS.
A key principle of the agreement is that students transferring will pay all fees payable by members of the receiving student government. Students transferring from MSU to MAPS would receive a refund, net of fees payable as a member of MAPS.
Those transfering from MAPS to MSU can expect the following fees being charged to their student accounts:
You should be able to expect a turnaround time of seven business days. If you haven't heard anything in that time, please contact the Student Accounts office.
For more information please visit the MAPS webpage, or phone the MSU Main Office at x22003.
- 6 days ago The MSU acknowledges systemic racism within the organization and is committing to anti-racist policy and procedure… https://t.co/qKKyMQJbCw
- 9 days ago RT @ggatguelph: We have resolved the email issue. Thank you to all of our @McMasterIT teams for their efforts and to all of our @McMasterU…
- 10 days ago Current VP Admin Anika Spasov unexpectedly gained entrance to medical school and was unable to secure a deferral. S… https://t.co/RCj2lP1dyy