Elections Canada exists to provides answers and resources concerning any and all questions you might have about voting in the upcoming federal elections; however, to answer some simple questions, the MSU has assembled a short FAQ on how to register, where and when to vote, who the candidates are for the Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas riding, and what the federal party platforms are.
Who Can Vote?
As a postsecondary student you are eligible to vote provided you are a Canadian citizen over 18 years of age on the day you cast your ballot. If you are temporarily living outside of Canada you are still eligible to vote and can register here.
How Do I Register?
You can register to vote by visiting the Elections Canada site here. Please ensure you are using your permanent address when registering. If you do not know what your permanent address is, it is likely the address on your driver’s license or other identification cards.
Note, you do not need to register to vote. You can simply visit your polling location on election day and bring the corrent ID - click here to learn more about the many fomrs of ID you can bring to vote.
When Do I Vote?
You have a few options:
- Voting away from home? (Satellite Polls: October 5th-October 9th)
This year McMaster University was one of 40 post-secondary institutions to receive an on-campus Satellite Polling Station. What does that mean?
If you are currently living in Hamilton for the school year, you can either vote for your candidate in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas (McMaster’s riding) OR the candidate from your permanent address’ riding on campus.
If you are a commuter student, you can vote for the candidate in your home riding on campus.
Advance polling booths will be running from Saturday, October 5th to Wednesday, October 8th in Celebration Hall (KTH B116). The hours of operation are as follows:
- Saturday, October 5 9 AM until 6 PM
- Sunday, October 6 12 noon until 4 PM
- Monday, October 7 10 AM until 10:30 PM
- Tuesday, October 8 10 AM until 10:30 PM
- Wednesday, October 9 10 AM until 10:30 PM
Note: When voting at the Satellite Station, you will be voting via Special Ballot, therefore please come prepared with the name of the candidate you wish to elect. You can find your candidates by providing your postal code in the Elections Canada website here: http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx
2. Early Polls (October 11th - 14th)
Early polling stations will be running in various locations across Canada from October 9th-12th. Please visit the Elections Canada website and input the postal code for the riding which you will be voting in during the early polls to find out where to vote: http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx
Note: If you are currently living in Hamilton and that is not your permanent address, please be sure to be prepared with your valid piece of ID and proof of Hamilton residency.
3. Election Day (October 21st)
If you are a student living in residence, be sure to download your proof a residence from your Residence Portal. Bring it and your identification to Binkley United Church at ., across the street from Boston Pizza.
To acces your proof of residence, log into Mosaic and print your personalized Voting Attestation Letter:
Step 1: First, you need to ensure your on-campus residence mailing address is up-to-date in Mosaic.
1. Log into Mosaic
2. Under Personal Information, select your mailing address
3. Update to your on-campus residence address
Step 2: Print your Voting Attestation Letter in Mosaic
1. Log into Mosaic
2. Under My Academics, select Enrolment and Financial Letters
3. Select Academic Career (Undergraduate)
4. Select the Term (2019 Fall)
5. Select which letter you would like: Voting Attestation Letter
6. Click Submit to download the pdf. letter to print.
If you are a student living off-campus, you must vote at your assigned polling station, whether that is in Hamilton or at your permanent address. If you are voting in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas and that is NOT your permanent address, please come prepared with your identification and proof of Hamilton residency (lease, internet bill, student record - SOMETHING with your name and Hamilton address on it.) Search for your polling location based on your address here.
Where Do I Vote?
Please see "When Do I Vote?" above to determine the date you plan to vote on, as locations change with date.
- Satellite Polls: Celebration Hall (KTH B116)
- Early Polls: Find out by inputting your postal code in the Elections Canada website-http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx
- Election Day: Various
If you are living in residence, you vote at Binkley United Church (make sure to download and bring your proof of residency via your Residence Portal).
If you are living in Hamilton as an off-campus student, you may vote in the Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas riding OR your permanent address riding. Please input your postal code into the Elections Canada website and go to your assigned polling station(s)- http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx
- If you are a commuter student, you must vote in your home riding at your assigned polling station. Please input your postal code into the Elections Canada website to find your assigned polling station- http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx
How Do I Vote?
There are so many ways to vote!
- You can vote in person on election day or via an advance poll or satellite poll.
- You can mail in your vote by applying here no later than Tuesday, October 13th at 6:00pm local time.
- You can vote in person using a special ballot, or through assistive voting technology at advanced polls and satellite offices. For more complete information regarding the voting process please visit the Elections Canada website.
What Identification Do I Need?
You must prove your identity and address to register and vote in a federal election. For a list of your ID options when you are voting in person – at an Elections Canada office, satellite polls, advance polls or on election day, please visit the Elections Canada website.
Note: If you are voting for a candidate in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas and that is NOT your permanent address, you must also bring proof of residency in the form of a bill, lease, student record (found on Mosaic) or other document depicting your name and Hamilton address.
Who are the Local Candidates?
A list of the current candidates for the Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas riding can be seen on the Local Candidates section of the MacVotes page. If you are voting in a different riding, you can find your candidates at the Elections Canada website.
Where Can I Learn More About the Federal Parties and Leaders?
More information about the federal parties represented in the Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas riding can be found on the Federal Parties and Leaders section of the MacVotes page, including their platforms, and social media information. For more information about all of the political parties in Ontario, please visit the Elections Canada website.
- about 13 hours ago RT @msucampusevents: Tyler Shaw: The Wanted Tour Giveaway. Visit the link below to learn how to enter! https://t.co/cwI9kEzqlv https://t.c…
- about 16 hours ago #elxn43 is just three days away! Plan your Voting Day in advance and visit https://t.co/3SYLEOJdxC to find your nea… https://t.co/6bLzFvP1Vt
- 1 day ago RT @msucampusevents: Have you gotten your Drag Show Tickets yet? This year, we will be featuring RuPaul's Drag Race star, JuJuBee. Doors:…