Kale is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family (like bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and other leafy greens). It is low calorie and very nutrient dense. See the graph below from The World's Healthiest Foods.
Tried and Tested Recipes:
Kale Salad with Apple-Maple Vinaigrette
This picture and the inspiration for the salad described below come from the Aggies Kitchen food blog.
1 bunch of Kale - thinly sliced
1 handful of walnuts - chopped and toasted
1/3 handful of blue cheese - crumbled
2 handful of dried cranberries
1 small-medium sized apple -thinly sliced
Maple Vinaigrette Ingredients:
1.5 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup grapeseed (or other) oil
pinch of paprika
pinch of salt, pepper
- Mix together all of thte Vinaigrette Ingredients, tasting as you go, and adjusting to your taste. This will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Mix salad ingredients together and add dressing to taste. To optimise your tossing efforts, put the small items (walnuts, cheese, apple, cranberries in the bottom of the bowl, add the kale on top then toss. This helps to more quickly distribute the toppings in amongst the greens
A few notes:
- All of the amounts in the recipe above are approximate- I didn't actually measure anything when I made it. Just try adding ingredients slowly, keep adding until you're happy with the ratios.
- I have omitted the cranberries and it's still great.
- The blue cheese is a little pricey, but I've found that it keeps for a year in the fridge, and since it's so strong you can use it sparingly without breaking the bank.
- This baby gets better after a couple days - kale salads are a great choice for school day lunches- you cna make them the night before and the robust kale still has some structural integrity by lunchtime the next day.
- about 7 hours ago It's a beautiful day at the links as we prepare to kick off at @MSU_McMaster's annual charity golf tournament!… https://t.co/2Q4Wmb6rxW
- about 8 hours ago Your source for #McMaster discussion and tips: https://t.co/13Gn3QMt7p #HamOnt #mcsu #McMaster2021 #MacWW2017
- about 11 hours ago GET THE INSIDE SCOOP! The latest #McMaster student discussion and news in our forums at https://t.co/13Gn3QMt7p #mcsu