The Newcomers Discussion Group is a space for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Queer, Transgender, Transsexual, Genderqueer, Gender Non-Conforming, Intersex, Two-Spirit, Asexual, Pansexual, Polyamorous, Aromantic (and all of the other diverse sexualities, gender identities, and romantic orientations people claim) students who are new to McMaster or new to their identities to discuss topics that participants deem to be relevant to their lives. In the past, topics having included adjusting to university life, coming out, finding a place in the LGBTTI2SQQA communities on campus and in Hamilton, news stories about LGBTTI2SQQA communities and legal changes that impact us, and lived experiences of LGBTTI2SQQA identities on campus. Newcomers meetings are open to any McMaster student who feels the group could be relevant and useful to their lives.
Meeting Times and Places
The date and times of Newcomers Meetings will be coming shortly. As we have in the past, all locations are announced the day of to ensure the confidentiality and anonymity of our participants. Please check back for Fall Newcomers dates!
Safe Space at Newcomers
In order to create a space where all participants can feel safe, accepted, and able to participate, we make every effort to follow these guidelines during meetings:
1. Racism, sexism, ableism, classism, religious discrimination, homophobia, transphobia, and ageism are prohibited in all meetings
2. The identities of people who participate in the group and everything discussed in the group is strictly confidential
Additionally, at the beginning of each Newcomers meeting, Safe Space will be discussed, and participants are able to add anything to the policy they feel would help create a safe space for their participation.
Alternative Spaces for Support
If you are a McMaster student who identifies as for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Queer, Transgender, Transsexual, Genderqueer, Gender Non-Conforming, Intersex, Two-Spirit, Asexual, Pansexual, Polyamorous, Aromantic (and all of the diverse sexualities, gender identities, and romantic orientations people claim) and would like to discuss an issue in a one-on-one setting, you might like to consider participating in the Peer Support Program.
- about 20 hours ago GET THE INSIDE SCOOP! The latest #McMaster student discussion and news in our forums at https://t.co/13Gn3QMt7p #mcsu
- about 20 hours ago HOT THREAD: Future Program Requirements https://t.co/dsBQ2EmxwV #McMaster #McSU
- 1 day ago Your source for #McMaster discussion and tips: https://t.co/13Gn3QMt7p #HamOnt #mcsu #McMaster2021 #MacWW2017